Decorated Indian chef Sanjeev Kapoor on his new Doha restaurant

Sanjeev Kapoor has opened a new restaurant in town. The celebrity Indian chef talks about the restaurant, which definitely imprints his name.
Tell us about your new restaurant in the city.
It is named Signature by Sanjeev Kapoor and is situated at the MeliĆ” Hotel. As the name suggest, Signature not only imprints its authority on the recipe, but also on the ideas that are served. The food is art on a plate. We try to give you a complete dining experience – it’s a contemporary take on authentic Indian food.
What’s your favourite Indian meal?
My favourite Indian meal is kadhi chawal, especially the pakorewali kadhi that my mother makes. If not that, then a close second is rajma chawal.
Is this what you would cook at home?
When I cook at home, it is on special request, mostly made by my daughters, so the menu is totally dependent on what they want to eat!
Will you be making regular visits to Doha?
The Middle East is like my second home. I have restaurants and many friends and acquaintances in the region and I love the place! So I am constantly visiting and I will definitely make it a point to be there any time the team needs me.
How many restaurants do you currently have your name to?
54 operational and 20 more that are to open by end of the year, under different brands.
Describe a typical day for you.
A typical day orbits around work. Thankfully, for me, each day at work is filled with a new journey, new experiences and new people – all bound by food. When I am not working, I relax with music. I enjoy playing the drums.
Do you cook as much now as you would like to?
Not as much, but I take any opportunity I get to create something exciting in the kitchen. For me, cooking is therapeutic.
Which is your favourite IPL cricket team and favourite player?
Well, that changes with every season.
How can a young chef be the next Sanjeev Kapoor?
I don’t know about being the next Sanjeev Kapoor, but I would want the next generation to be better than me and reach a higher plane. I have full faith and confidence that they will. There is a lot of talent in India especially.


The Author

Eating in Qatar is the definitive resource on anything delicious in Qatar.

1 comment :